A few weeks ago, a local player had a great idea for Lich Lord Terminus. Mod his wings so they looked like they were made from the skins of his enemies. I thought, "Man, that is a stellar and fantastic idea. Not only will I get a chance to practice various skin tones, he'll have a very unique Terminus on the table. A few weeks passed, and here it is.
Most of the skin tones I used came from all the various "Forces of" books from Warmachine and Hordes. Skin has always been kind of tricky for me, but I think that can be said of many painters starting out. Recently I've gotten better (read: gotten more paints to work with), and it's not so intimidating anymore.
The base was a new thing for me too. It's the standard cork slab being raised by other cork pieces, but I sprinkled some sand on top before I primed the base. This allowed me to actually paint the sand and rocks, and what you see is the result of some basecoating and drybrushing. I have to say, I liked the result. A lot. In my opinion this might be the best base I've done yet, although there are a few contenders.
Overall, this was a great experience, and I'm looking forward to the next big challenge someone will throw my way. Odds are, it just might be myself giving me that challenge.
Until next time folks,