Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Of Beast and Man Pt 4

Let's play a game. If you can guess one of the colors that I used in this update, then you win the satisfaction of getting the answer right! I'll give you a hint: I put the color on a pretty high pedestal a few posts back.

On to Sir Goat!

The next step that I decided to do was his horns and hoofs. Not really knowing how to make the color of actual goat horns, I decided to go with a mix that I'm more familiar with and that I enjoy using. Shown here is PG's Bone Mix, outlined in the Forces: Cryx book. I didn't follow every step (skipping a shade), but I think it looks just fine.

  • Colors Used:
  • Base: Jack Bone
  • Shade: Wash of Cryx Bane Highlight
  • Highlight: Jack Bone + Menoth White Highlight


Reveal time! Did you guess right? The answer is Sanguine! Good on ya if you guessed right. Here's how I generally do my Sanguine:

  1. Sanguine Base
  2. Sanguine Base + Exile Blue
  3. Sanguine Highlight
  4. Sanguine Highlight + Menoth White Highlight
Also shown here is the front of his leotard-like thing (not sure what the name if it is). Here's the back of it:
It's all very subtle, and composed entirely of highlights. Here's how I did it:
  1. Thamar Black Base
  2. Thamar Black + Coal Black
  3. Coal Black
  4. Coal Black + Menoth White Highlight
  5. Same as 4, but a little more MWH
I've done this before, as can be seen on my Siege Animantarix post. I love how subtle it comes out, because that's generally how black is on actual clothes. In both of those pictures, you can see his shield. That was a fun thing to paint. I actually did my own mix from shade to highlight, and I quite like it. It went like this:
  1. Base: Gun Corps Brown
  2. Shade: Devlan Mud Wash (which sadly isn't made anymore. GW!)
  3. Highlight: Gun Corps Brown + Jack Bone
  4. Highlight: Jack Bone
Also shown is his axe, which follows the same pattern. I tried to simulate blood splatter, as if he's just coming out of a battle and hasn't had time to clean his axe. I did this by watering down some Red Ink and flicking it across the axe. Same with the shield. I think it looks decent. Also, fingernails! Done with MWH.


As I was writing this post, I realized that I'm really close to finishing Sir Goat. all I have to do is his rune necklace, his eyes, and a little bit on his snout and mouth (maybe, still debating that). Then I can get to work on his base! I always find it funny in everything that you do, when you start you think it's going to take a long time, and then you start working on it bit by bit, and before you know it, you're nearly done! The base is going to be fun, I've got a couple ideas for it, if I can find a decent drybrush out of my collection. Until next time folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment